A Memoir by Lisa Vaughn


Lisa was conservatively raised in a Catholic family in no-where middle America, where excitement is scarce and dreams are for sleeping. Little did she know, at age thirteen, she would suddenly find herself on a totally different path.

Through an unlikely chance meeting of a fellow classmate, she's surprisingly mesmerized, almost consumed, to befriend a girl who is obviously from the other side of the tracks...the cool side. Lisa does whatever she has to just to be accepted into this small club of coolness. Little did she realize, she was signing up for a lot more than social status. The two best friends find themselves innocently taking their relationship to a foreign level neither had experienced or saw coming.

A rollercoaster ride littered with choices and challenges Lisa never fathomed facing, especially in no-where middle America. She will find out what she is made of as she faces the consequences and struggles that come along with going against the grain.

Throughout their six year relationship, you will witness a touching story of human nature at its best...and at its worst. Showing just how far the human spirit can be challenged and pushed to a point where your “fight or flight” instincts naturally kick in. Struggling just to survive in a world where you are not like everyone else, but at the same time you really are. The daily struggles - both internal and external - are exhausting, yet necessary in their quest for one simple human need....love.

Finally breaking through all constraints that hold them back, reaching levels of one-ness that few actually obtain in a lifetime with their partner...only to find once they've reached that special place, it's not quite the right fit...for one of them, at least.

This contemporary story, told in the voice of the teen that lived it, will lead the reader through highs and lows, giving insight to the everyday challenges of the socially unaccepted, which will no doubt leave them rooting for the underdog. A true story of human resilience and the power of love...plain and simple.

*Please be advised, this memoir is real, honest, and raw. If you're looking for your typical 'sterilized' read, I'm not your girl - but if you're looking for a read that is written from the heart, certain to impact you on a human level, follow me! Have I got a story for you!

Friday, October 7, 2011

FridayFeelGoodAssignment:Get Your Halloween On! Oprah's-In-Da-House!

Every neighborhood has one. THAT house. The mysterious, spooky house on the block that magically comes alive once a year...October 31st to be exact.

Yep, that's us! And to think it all started about 13 years ago with one little display of a stuffed hobo bending over, displaying his 'pumpkin' butt-crack peaking out of his oversized jeans. From that Halloween on, we became THAT house. Oh if only I had known what I just signed up for, and the responsibility we were accepting!

'THAT House' - the one everyone anticipates this time of year...What WILL they do THIS year? HOW can they top last year? Concerned neighbors that rarely speak to us, stop us at the mailbox, inquiring - in August! We even have seasonal residents that return in October, anxious to see what we've come up with this time. Not to mention the traffic that repeatedly slows down to grab a gander and a snapshot. So, pressure? Yeah, a tad.

Well, somehow we have managed - and my poor husband has been a great sport about it too, as he IS my set/design engineer. Our displays have grown tremendously over the years - each one has to top the previous - quite the challenge I must say. We've come up some doozies though. From our 'Bat Cave' display, to our 'Ghoul-Aid' stand, and last year's 'Nightmare Before Xmas' which displayed our monsters kidnapping Santa and his sleigh full of presents. Oh the memories!

I have tons of fond memories of Halloween's past. Even as a child I can remember loving this creepy time of year, claiming it as 'MY' holiday. Bravely marching up to doors in our safe neighborhoods of the seventies, decked out in my store- bought, plastic 'Heckle & Jeckle' crow costume (what does THAT have to do with Halloween?!) to my more elaborate hand-made costumes in my adult life. Who doesn't LOVE a sock monkey?
I must add, if you ever have a chance to be a sock monkey for a day, by all means, do not pass it up! That was probably the most fun I've ever had. Sock monkey's, as I found out, can get away with practically anything in public!

From the over-the-top parties we have thrown, to the parties we have attended, nothing compares to the fun I always have on that special night. We have taken the party scene down a notch or two, now that we are getting older and not that energetic, but I still get a pep in my step looking forward to this magical time of year. And even though it is a lot of work, it's a labor of love, and SO worth it when I hear the praises from our loyal fan-base year after year. I think to myself, HOW could I EVER give this up? I doubt I ever will...even if I have to hire it done from my wheelchair when I'm in my 90's!

So let your Halloween Freak Flag Fly! Deck your house out and make fond memories for the children in your neighborhood. It's the one time of year you can be whatever you want! Let you hair down and go for it! Tell em the 'Queen of Halloween' said so.

Wishing you all a spook-tacular holiday month!

1 comment:

  1. I love your sock monkey costumes. Fabulous. You have some great decorations. We are not 'that' house, but I enjoy the neighbors who do it up.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews