A Memoir by Lisa Vaughn


Lisa was conservatively raised in a Catholic family in no-where middle America, where excitement is scarce and dreams are for sleeping. Little did she know, at age thirteen, she would suddenly find herself on a totally different path.

Through an unlikely chance meeting of a fellow classmate, she's surprisingly mesmerized, almost consumed, to befriend a girl who is obviously from the other side of the tracks...the cool side. Lisa does whatever she has to just to be accepted into this small club of coolness. Little did she realize, she was signing up for a lot more than social status. The two best friends find themselves innocently taking their relationship to a foreign level neither had experienced or saw coming.

A rollercoaster ride littered with choices and challenges Lisa never fathomed facing, especially in no-where middle America. She will find out what she is made of as she faces the consequences and struggles that come along with going against the grain.

Throughout their six year relationship, you will witness a touching story of human nature at its best...and at its worst. Showing just how far the human spirit can be challenged and pushed to a point where your “fight or flight” instincts naturally kick in. Struggling just to survive in a world where you are not like everyone else, but at the same time you really are. The daily struggles - both internal and external - are exhausting, yet necessary in their quest for one simple human need....love.

Finally breaking through all constraints that hold them back, reaching levels of one-ness that few actually obtain in a lifetime with their partner...only to find once they've reached that special place, it's not quite the right fit...for one of them, at least.

This contemporary story, told in the voice of the teen that lived it, will lead the reader through highs and lows, giving insight to the everyday challenges of the socially unaccepted, which will no doubt leave them rooting for the underdog. A true story of human resilience and the power of love...plain and simple.

*Please be advised, this memoir is real, honest, and raw. If you're looking for your typical 'sterilized' read, I'm not your girl - but if you're looking for a read that is written from the heart, certain to impact you on a human level, follow me! Have I got a story for you!

Friday, November 11, 2011

FridayFeelGood: 10 Things To LOVE About Winter

I know a lot of you count the days till your first snowfall...but not this chick. In fact, I loathe winter, fretting its arrival every year. Even though I live in a tropical climate (Florida) we still see a change in seasons as the northern winds whip down our coastline, and our humidity drops along with the temps - and it seems to be getting worse every year (environmental changes or me just getting older? Who's to say?)

So, as I attempt to catch some rays like a lizard on a rock, I thought up a few 'positives' about the season I loathe to keep me going (and sane) till Spring break arrives:

1. Colder Temps = 'Bulkier' Clothes!
Living in a beach community with 100% humidity means wearing little as possible most of the year, and sucking in your gut a lot! Winter, at least, gives me a chance to let out my breath fully as my flab falls where it may! Where's my sweats & yoga pants? Ahhhh comfort once again! Bye-bye bikini!

2. Hot Tubs & Fires!
Two of my fave things I look forward to - filling the hot tub and our first fire in the fireplace...yes, even in Florida! When the temps hit 70' or below, chances are you'll see us wimps scrambling to 'thaw out' by force of hot water or fire...I know, pathetic.

3. Whole New Wardrobe!
I'm sure everyone looks forward to switching out their summer clothes for a change of pace with long sleeves, fleece, and comfy slippers. I'm no exception - I love the feeling of long sleeves, jeans, and fun jackets...for about a month - then I'm over it.

4. More Grey Days!
The sun still shines, but we do experience more grey days, and sometimes I welcome these days as it gives me an excuse to be:
*be lazy all day *watch movies all day *read all day *eat all day - who doesn't love that?

5. Depression!
Now I know normally this isn't something most people would list as a 'good thing', but for a creative person sometimes it proves to be just that. When I get sad, down or depressed, my creative juices - and my need to express myself - are at their highest levels - so as a result, some of my best work comes from these dark depths when my pendulum swings to the extreme. (Oh, life as a wacky artist!!)

6. Exercise Excuse!
Don't get me wrong, I like to work out and do it almost every day - in fact, sometimes I should take a break, but I don't. Well colder weather is my perfect excuse to give me 'permission' to take the day off. Riding your bike with double layers of pants, shirt, jackets + gloves and hats seems a tad obsessed, even to me. (picture the kid from 'A Christmas Story' stuffed into his snow suit)

7. Eating Yummies I Normally Would Not!
Like I stated up above, I do take care of myself by working out and eating right...but, for some reason cold temps make it 'okay' to sneak in more junk food, especially around the holidays (even thought I don't even celebrate! ha) Maybe it's due to the fact I know my bulky clothes will cover more, leading me back to reason #1. I can always curb my feed bag habits in time for Spring and that intimidating bikini...eeeekkkk

8. Blankie Pile Up!
Nothing is cozier than a big inviting bed with layers of blankets and a big fat comforter waiting for you to dive underneath - kicking your feet wildly as you attempt to 'warm up' your side in a hurry. Oh, and by the way, partners with cold feet need to keep their distance till they remedy that situation - nothing pisses me off more than cold feet on my toasty body parts! Not funny or cute!

9. Hats Are In Fashion!
I'm a big hat wearer all year long - mainly to keep the sun from baking my face to resemble a raisin before it's time...but with winter's arrival, I get to model my fuzzy ski caps and fun warmer versions - perfect for bad hair days or just plain laziness. ha

10. Days Are Shorter - Bed Time Comes Faster!
Normally, in summer, I'm a night owl - staying up waaaay past my required sleep time - mainly because summertime is full of fun outdoor activities that keep me busy all day and into the night. Winter, however, is the opposite - and 'night' now comes at 5pm when darkness sets in and my jammies are on by 5:01pm! There have honestly been times I've looked at my husband and said, 'Is 7:30 too early to got to bed?' I wouldn't be embarrassed if say, I were 80! But I'm not, and it only makes me feel more tired, more old, and more depressed...and then, like clockwork, I ask that infamous question - 'How many days till Spring?'





3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'm convinced, but this is about as good a list as it's going to get on the dreaded winter! ;p Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you, I loathe winter, but I do love this list! There are things I definitely appreciate, especially the cold weather clothes, and the blankie pile-up!! There's nothing better than getting all snuggled in a cozy bed under a bunch of blankets, that's the best thing about the cold weather to me. If only I didn't have to go outside in it LOL.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list! You put such a positive spin on winter. You mentioned so many great points. Winter foods are so cozy!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews